My mother was a stay at home mom until my brother entered kindergarten. At that time, she entered the work force. It was the same year that we built a new house in the country, and I moved school districts. It was a lot of change in a short period of time adjusting to a new school, new friends, new areas to roam, and a working mother.
It ended up being the perfect place to grow up as a young kid. We had the best neighbors, fields to roam and explore, geese from the neighbor’s pond that chased me at the bus stop, and big hills that were perfect for sledding.
My mother was also excellent at making sure we had a hot breakfast every morning, despite the fact that she had to be at work before we caught the bus. On the weekends she would make breakfast burritos, egg casserole, sausage biscuits, and stuffed breakfast biscuit muffins and freeze them for us to reheat throughout the week.
At the time, I don’t think I appreciated those hot breakfasts as much as I do now. My mom certainly didn’t have to do that, and now that I am a mother myself, I know how much work it was for her and how much she sacrificed on her weekends to make sure we had a breakfast that would tide us over until lunch time.
Even though I am a stay at home mom now, I have continued to use this technique that my mother used when I was growing up. My husband many mornings has to be at work early and needs a quick grab and go breakfast. It’s so much easier to make things ahead of time to simplify our mornings, while still enjoying a quality breakfast.
I mentioned stuffed breakfast biscuit muffins that my mom used to make. They are super tasty and taste just like bacon, egg and cheese biscuits, but they are much more portable with less mess.
The outer part is my easy biscuit dough that gets rolled out and then filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon. You could fill these with so many things:
- spinach, artichoke hearts, herbs, eggs, and cheese
- eggs, peppers, onions, cheese
- sausage and egg
- ham, egg, cheese
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 7 T. butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T. baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 5 pieces of bacon
- shredded cheese
- Scramble eggs as desired. Make sure to season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in oven at 350 for 15 minutes or until done. Set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter. I squish it around in my fingers until it is well incorporated.
- Add milk and mix until it becomes a shaggy dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead until it is a smooth dough.
- Cut into eight pieces.
- Roll each piece out into a 5-6 inch circle.
- Fill each circle with a small portion of egg, bacon, and cheese.
- Fold up edges and pinch seams.
- Place seam side down in a greased muffin pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for fifteen minutes until golden brown and puffed.