This is certainly not one of my prettier recipes, but it's a family favorite around here and so incredibly simple to make, so I had to share it with you. Instant Pot taco rice has become a go-to weeknight meal for us. Everyone in my family likes it, and I like that it takes only a few minutes of hands on time. I reserve this meal for a night when I know I'm going to have very little energy. Everyone needs a handful of meals like that.
I don't serve anything alongside this because to me it's a complete meal. If you are wanting to bulk up the meal a little more, I would serve a salad or cut up fresh fruit and veggies just to keep it simple. Of course, I also like to serve it with the typical taco fixings such as cheese, sour cream, avocado, olives, jalepeno, green onions, etc.
Because I know some of you will ask, yes you can make this without an Instant Pot too. Just use a large skillet, brown and drain the ground beef, Add the rest of the ingredients and cook as long as the package directions for your rice indicate. You may need a bit more liquid, so keep an eye on it. I have not tested this on the stovetop, but I feel confident that it will work.
Instant Pot Taco Rice
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup salsa of choice I've tested it with many brands and they all work.
- 1 15 oz. can black or pinto beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Turn Instant Pot on saute.
- Brown ground beef in insert. Drain if there is an excess of fat.
- Add remainder of ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place lid on, making sure valve is set to sealing.
- Press manual, and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Manually release pressure when time has elapsed.