Spicy honey chicken is a simple skillet chicken meal with a sweet and spicy sauce. It's a perfect 20 minute weeknight meal. Suggested side dishes are rice and a roasted or steamed vegetable.
This is a recipe that I have been making for years. I first developed it when I had my diary style blog and had two tiny kids at home. My oldest was picky and it was all I could do to get her to eat meat or really anything. Spicy honey chicken was an instant hit with her and still is a hit to this day.
I decided to resurrect this old recipe so that it can live its true potential on Eat Well Spend Smart. I'm just sorry I didn't revive it sooner. I know you will love this easy weeknight chicken recipe. It uses simple ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen and will be a hit with the whole family.
I suggest pairing it with rice and vegetables, but it would also be yummy on a salad.
Spicy honey chicken step by step instructions
Cut fat chicken breasts in half to make four cutlets using these instructions. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel and season one side with half of seasoning mixture.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium low heat.
Place chicken season side down in the skillet and season the other side with remaining seasoning.
Flip when the chicken has developed a nice brown color.
When both sides are brown and chicken has reached 165 degrees F, allow to rest on a plate.
Whisk in two more tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 2 tablespoons of water. Let thicken for about one minute.
Place chicken back in sauce and turn to coat each piece. Look at that sauce!
Spicy honey chicken
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 boneless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp salt I use and love Redmond salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat skillet over medium-low to medium heat.
- Slice chicken breasts in half to make cutlets or 4 thinner pieces of chicken. See above for a link to instructions.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel. Season liberally with half of the seasoning mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to skillet and place chicken season side down in skillet. Season second side with remaining seasoning.
- Cook for several minutes. When chicken develops a nice golden color, flip to brown other side.
- When chicken is brown on both sides and has reached 165 degrees, remove chicken and allow to rest on a plate.
- Whisk in 2 more tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of honey, and 2 tbsp of water to pan drippings, scraping up any bits that have accumulated in the pan. Sauce should thicken very quickly.
- Return chicken to sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.