In the cooler months, I have similar characteristics to that of a bear.
Eat and eat and eat.
Find a warm cozy spot.
Hibernate for the winter.
Yeah I'm not much of a cold weather kind of girl. Don't get me wrong. I love Fall and all that it brings.
The leaves changing to vibrant colors, the reprieve from garden work, bonfires, hoodie sweatshirts, apple picking, pumpkin picking, and fall baking are all great. I'm just not one that likes to be outdoors in the cooler months. Brrrr...
I go into hibernation mode. I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to deal with the jackets and coats. I just want to stay inside curled up in a warm blanket by the fire. Bonus points if I have a good book in hand or if we have a good movie to watch.
Yes, I'm quite bear-like. My husband can verify that fact most mornings. Bear am I. I require silence for at least fifteen minutes upon awakening. You wouldn't want to get mauled by the angry bear, would you? I'm pretty sure at this point, he wishes that I would take up coffee drinking, but alas I have not. I do however enjoy a nice hot herbal tea with honey. Bears like honey, right? I'm pretty sure Winnie the Pooh does at least.
Meals in the colder months also need to be hot and simple. Bears like me don't have a lot of energy to expend in the kitchen. We're in hibernation mode and require simplicity and warmth.
That's one reason why I love a good slow cooker meal during the cold seasons. Throw a few things together in the morning, turn it on, and we have a tasty meal by the end of the day to feed momma and papa bear and our two little bear cubs.
Slow cooker white chicken chili is on our list of tried and true slow cooker recipes that we make. It's simple, hearty, delicious, and puts some warmth back into this cold grumpy bear.
Slow cooker white chicken chili
- 8 c unsalted homemade broth
- ½ c onion
- 4 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 cups dried great northern beans, rinsed or 3-4 cans of pre-cooked
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 2 ½ tsp salt use less if your broth is salted
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 4 oz canned chopped green chilis
- 3 cups leftover shredded chicken or 2-3 raw chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- If using leftover shredded chicken, add it in the last hour. If using raw chicken, add it in the beginning and before serving, remove and shred chicken and add back to slow cooker.