Make ahead breakfast casserole is perfect to make ahead for busy school mornings. Just reheat and eat throughout the week. Also excellent for serving company, feeding large crowds, or even to take to new mothers.
Make ahead breakfast casserole
This breakfast casserole is a recipe that I grew up eating in my house. It was a favorite of mine as a child and it has now become a favorite of my children. I love to make it on weeks when I'm going to be very busy in the mornings and need a quick option to reheat and go.
It is also my go-to breakfast dish when serving company, on holidays, to feed large crowds for breakfast, or even to take to new mothers or those that have had surgery. It's so yummy and everyone likes it.
The best part about it is that it is incredibly easy and can be mixed up the night before and put in the refrigerator, so it can bake while you get ready in the morning.
Everyone needs tried and true recipes like this in their back pocket. Every time I make this for a church event or a family gathering, I always get asked for the recipe.
Breakfast casserole FAQs
Can I make it without meat?
Yes. If you don't like meat, you could add a couple more eggs and sauté some mushrooms, peppers, or greens and put them in this dish.
Can I make this gluten-free?
If you are gluten free, try using your favorite gluten free bread.
Can I bake it right away?
You can bake it the same day. I would at least let it stand in the fridge 30 minutes before baking to allow the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
More make ahead breakfast recipes
- 6 large eggs
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 cups milk
- 1 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of bread cubed
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Brown sausage in a skillet.
- While sausage in browning, in a mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add cheese, bread, and sausage and stir.
- Pour in buttered 9x13 dish.
- You can cover and refrigerate overnight or bake immediately. If you bake immediately, let it sit for 30 minutes for bread to soak in egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly golden and set.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Pin for later!