Crispy black bean tacos are a ridiculously easy pantry meal, meatless, and super cheap. They are great for lunch or dinner.
Why a meatless taco?
We also like to increase fiber and plant diversity in our diet for good gut health according to Dr. B from the Plant Fed Gut, and black beans are a great source of fiber.
These crispy black bean tacos are a meatless dinner that my whole family eats with gusto! They are simple and made with just a few pantry ingredients. Don't let the simple ingredients fool you though. That crispy shell makes them surprisingly addictive.
Crispy black bean tacos step by step
Place a couple of tortillas in a hot oiled skillet.
Flip over and fill half with a small amount of smashed beans. If you are adding cheese, now would be the time to add it.
Fold over and smash down with a spatula or spoon.
Cook until browned and flip over to brown second side.
Working in batches like above can be helpful to get the job done in a timely manner.
Stuffing the tacos
These tacos are crispy but are still pliable enough to open to stuff with fillings. Here are some tasty fillings to try.
- chopped red onion
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- hot sauce
Crispy black bean tacos
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp oil avocado, olive, coconut, etc.
- Drain liquid from beans and place in a bowl.
- Stir in salt, chili powder, and cumin and smash beans slightly.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, place a tortilla in skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Flip over to the other side and fill with a small amount of beans. Fold over half of the tortilla and smash with a spatula.
- When first side is brown and crispy, flip over to brown the second side. Remove from pan and place on plate to drain. Repeat with remainder of tacos.