Everyone needs an arsenal of easy recipes in their back pocket. These types of recipes are ones that don't require much prep, can be made quickly, and use common ingredients. This Italian ground beef and cabbage skillet definitely fits that bill. It uses ground beef, canned tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and seasonings, which are simple and are perfect for the colder months when fresh in-season produce is lacking.
The two frugal stars of this show are ground beef and cabbage. Ground beef is an inexpensive protein source that I almost always keep on hand. There are so many uses for it like tacos, sloppy Joes, chili, spaghetti, vegetable beef soup, cheeseburger pie, dirty rice, meatloaf, and shepherd's pie. It gets used in my kitchen almost every week. Cabbage is one of the cheapest vegetables out there and stretches incredibly far to make it even more frugal. It's great as a side dish like boiled cabbage or roasted cabbage wedges. It's also great in skillet dishes like this Italian ground beef and cabbage skillet.
Skillet meals are some of my favorites because they can be made in one dish, which means fewer dishes and easier clean up. I recommend having as large of skillet as you can find so that all ingredients can easily fit.
Italian ground beef and cabbage skillet
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cabbage sliced thinkly
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- ½ onion sliced
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain all but a couple of tablespoons of fat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to make sure nothing is burning.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.