I have posted many simple recipes on my blog over the years, but this one could possibly be one of the simplest. It's a one dish meal of sausage, potatoes, onions, and cabbage. If you can use a knife to spend five minutes to cut a few vegetables, then you can definitely make this meal. It's a perfect meal on a weeknight when you have chores to accomplish, homework to help the kids with, or you just want to spend some time flopping on the couch when you've pushed yourself to the limit for the day. Yeah we all have days like that.
Motivation to cook is just not there. You don't have it in you to stand over the stove and sauté anything. You can't bare the thought of washing multiple dishes. You're just done.
That was me a few days ago. I was tapped out. I was done.
Dinner still need to be made though. Why do they have to eat three times a day? Normally I would consider caving and go out to eat, but my hubby was gone and my youngest wasn't feeling well so mama had to plow through. Out of necessity, I came up with this simple little dish and everyone was happy and fed. No it's not my most prized meal that I've ever made. No it's not gourmet. No it won't win any culinary awards. No it doesn't even really require a recipe.
Yes it was tasty. Yes it was nutritious. Yes it was filling. Yes we all happily ate. Yes it was easy and took very little hands on time. I call that a win. Most of the time when I make meals like this I think they aren't worthy to publish, but then I remember that you are regular people just like me and may need a little inspiration for when you just need to get dinner on the table with as little work as possible.
Grab a fork. Dig in.
Sausage with potatoes, onions, and cabbage
- 1.5 lb fingerling potatoes small red potatoes, or another soft skinned waxy potato
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- 4-6 sausages of choice mine were a chicken sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley) optional
- Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a deep 9x13 baking dish.
- Cut potatoes in halves or quarters and place in baking dish.
- Cut cabbage and onions into small chunked wedges and arrange within potatoes.
- Drizzle more olive oil over vegetables.
- Liberally season with salt and pepper and herbs if desired.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Add sausages on top, cover with foil or baking dish cover and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until potatoes are soft and sausages are heated through.
- Note: If using uncooked sausages, add to baking dish earlier and cook for longer. Mine were fully cooked sausages and just needed to be heated through.