As soon as the weather turns cool, I crave soup in all forms.
I break out my slow cooker or stock pot, throw some quality broth in, and then whatever else I feel like. Sometimes it's all the vegetables, sometimes it's meat filled, sometimes it's thick with beans or lentils. It really is hard to go wrong with a good soup.
So frugal. So delicious.
This creamy tomato soup is one that I have been making for years. I love it because it is made with ingredients that I always have on hand. Carrots, onion, celery, diced tomatoes, and broth are staple items in my house. To make me love this soup even more, it is cooked all day in the slow cooker and then pureed with cream at the end to thicken it and give it a delicious rich taste.
Because I grew up with Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese, I always have to pair this homemade version with a homemade grilled cheese sandwich made with sourdough bread, cheddar cheese, and if I'm feeling fancy, some bacon or pesto. Sometimes the budget doesn't allow for the fancy, and the plain is just as good.
Don't forget to dunk!
Slow cooker creamy tomato soup
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 1-2 stalks of celery diced
- 1-2 large carrots diced
- 4 cups chicken broth homemade is best
- 1 T basil or to taste. Fresh basil will be better tasting but dried can be used as well.
- 8 oz cream half and half, or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Combine tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots and chicken broth in crockpot.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high for 5 until veggies are soft.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth.
- Add basil, cream and salt.
- Cook for another hour.
- Top with a generous portion of grated parmesan cheese when serving.