Greek flavors are some of my favorite flavors, especially in the summer when tomatoes and cucumbers are in season. The saltiness of the feta and olives pair so nicely with the coolness of the cucumbers and tomatoes.
I thought it would be fun to pair my favorite Greek flavors with quinoa in a salad that can be a stand alone meal for a meatless light lunch/dinner or a side dish. I think this would be delicious paired with my herbed chicken kabobs or ground beef gyros.
This Greek quinoa salad will be the most affordable if you have homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers either from your own garden or from a friend’s. I know I am always happy to share my garden goodies with friends and family, so it doesn’t hurt to ask! If you don’t have access to the free garden veg, I once again refer to my favorite money saving store, Aldi. I always buy my quinoa there too. A great bargain!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped or halved
- 1/2 cup red onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste (start with 1/4 tsp and work up)
- crumbled feta cheese as desired
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly to remove bitter taste.
- Combine quinoa and water and cook (see notes below)
- When quinoa is cooked and cooled, add cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and olives.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and salt and pour over quinoa and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Feel free to add fresh herbs if you have them. I recommend parsley, mint, oregano, and chives.
- Top with feta when serving.
- To cook quinoa on the stovetop: Combine water and quinoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- To cook quinoa in an instant pot: Combine water and quinoa in the instant pot. Press manual, then high pressure for 8 minutes. Release pressure manually when timer goes off. Fluff with fork.