Looking for an impressive tasty appetizer? These potato bites are full of flavor and taste like a loaded baked potato in a tiny bite sized form. They make a great appetizer for the holidays, parties or game day.
One of my favorite things to eat is potatoes. Put potatoes in a miniature form covered in bacon and cheese and I'm sold! Everything just seems more fun in bite sized form, and these are no exception.
These little bites make such a fun appetizer. Every time I make them, they are gobbled up in no time. The secret ingredient that takes them over the top, in my opinion, is the sour cream dip. It gives it tons of ranch inspired flavor and is so much better than just plain sour cream.
I love to serve these around the holidays for a Christmas or New Year's Eve party, but they also make a great game day appetizer. They are faster than potato skins and taste just as good. The best thing about these baked potato bites is that they are budget friendly. I buy all of my ingredients from Aldi and you can't beat the price.
The next time you need delicious appetizers for your party, give this amazing recipe a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Ingredients for these tiny potato bites are simple.
- tiny potatoes: For one batch, about 16 are needed. They get cut in half to make 32 bites.
- olive oil
- bacon: For best results, chop the bacon before frying.
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream dip: sour cream, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dill, thyme
- green onions or chives: This is for garnish and flavor.
How to make loaded potato bites
First preheat oven to 450 degree f oven.
Wash the bite sized potatoes.
Next, cut the tiny potatoes in half lengthwise and cut a thin slice off of each side to make a flat bottom. This stabilizes the potatoes while they bake.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
On the baking sheet, drizzle the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat.
Arrange the potato halves in a single layer on the sheet pan leaving plenty of room in between each potato.
Sprinkle them with ½ teaspoon salt.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are golden on the bottom and tender.
While potatoes are cooking, mix together sour cream dip ingredients and set aside. Also slice bacon and cook in a small skillet until crispy perfection. Drain grease and set aside.
Remove from oven and top with ½ cup cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles.
Turn oven to broil and broil for 1 minute to melt cheese.
After cheese is melted, place potatoes on serving plate and spoon a small dollop of sour cream dip on top of each potato bite.
Lastly, garnish with fresh chives or green onions.
Loaded potato bites
- parchment paper
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 chef knife
- 1 cutting board
- small frying pan
- small bowl
- 16 tiny potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp dried dill
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chives or green onion chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash potatoes. Slice in half lengthwise. Then slice a tiny slice off the skin side bottom of each side to make a flat bottom. This stabilizes the potato bites.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss potato halves with olive oil to coat and lay in a single layer on baking sheet with plenty of space between each potato.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender and browned.
- While potatoes are cooking cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain and set aside. Also mix together the sour cream with ⅛ tsp each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and dill in a small bowl and set aside.
- After potatoes are baked top with cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Broil for 1 minute until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and place on serving tray. Top each potato bite with a very small dollop of the sour cream dip. Garnish with chopped chives.