It’s funny how some dishes can send you straight back to your childhood.
This meal does just that for me. Every time I make it, I am ten years old again in my momma’s kitchen, savoring every bite of this simple dish of chicken and rice. Food has a way of speaking to my heart, connecting my past to my present, and remembering the love that my parents had for me, and the love that I want to pass down to my own kids.
Food can do all that? Well, it does for me.
Many signature dishes of my grandma’s and my mom’s are the tried and true recipes that I still use in my kitchen today. Each time I craft one of these recipes in my own kitchen, it’s like I’m taking part in the traditions of the many wonderful women who have gone before me, nourishing their own families.
Isn’t that a beautiful picture? I hope my children continue down the path of home cooked meals, using the same recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation in our family.
This chicken and rice is tasty and total comfort food. You will love it, I can almost guarantee.
It’s best with bone in, skin on chicken, but really you can use whatever chicken you have. Boneless, skinless breasts will be the least juicy and least flavorful, but will still work.
Season your chicken liberally with sea salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a large skillet.
Quickly brown both sides of chicken. You don’t want to cook them all the way through.
Transfer them to a plate. See how they are still raw? That’s what you want.
Saute some chopped onions.
Pour in some delicious mineral rich homemade chicken stock.
Pour in some delicious cream from grass fed cows.
Season it up with some herbs, salt and pepper.
Stir in the rice and bring to a bubble.
Pour the rice mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish, top with chicken, and spoon some of the liquid on top of the chicken. Cover and bake.
Serve with some simple vegetables like roasted broccoli or asparagus and stuff your face!
- 2 T. butter
- 4-6 chicken parts, bone in skin on best flavor and most juicy
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cups broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 T. parsley
- 1 1/2 cup organic white rice
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Quickly brown both sides of chicken, taking care not to cook all the way through.
- Tranfer chicken to a plate to rest.
- In the same skillet, add onions and sautee until tender.
- Add broth, cream, salt, pepper, and herbs. Bring to a bubble.
- Add rice and transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Top with chicken and spoon some liquid onto chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.